Start date: 03/25/2011
Completion date: 9/25/2012
Why start this journey?
In the not too distant past, most people in America lived off the land and what they could provide for themselves. I find that intriguing but know that living in the city that is all but impossible. However, with the uncertain future of food (and other) prices, I wondered if I really could be food-prepared and self-sufficient for at least a year. And can we be “happy eating what I cook from our food storage.
For the past few days I’ve been doing some research on the internet and I’ve decided I want to try! So welcome to my journey. I hope to learn a lot over the next 18 months and I’ll be passing along all the information on this blog. I’m hoping to provide information on food storage, preparations, cooking equipment, and yummy recipes. Maybe you’ll decide to take your own journey too and you’ll have lots of info here to use!
What I want to accomplish:
- Use the next 18 months to create and completely use a years worth of stored food for my husband and I.
- Use the first 6 months for preparation which includes obtaining the necessary equipment, and preparing or purchasing food for storage.
- Ensure that the meals are tasty and something that we will actually eat and enjoy.
- Use the last 12 months to prove that I can use the food storage, while replenishing it at the same time.
- Use this blog daily (or weekly) to capture the journey. Topics will include food storage and cooking equipment sources, and recipes, as well as trials and successes during my journey.
- Keep a completely updated list of food available for use in storage at all times.
- If we eat out during the 12 month “food-storage” period (FSP), I will remove the items for that meal from the list of food available.
- Food for our pets (2 dogs and possibly chickens) will not be included in the journey.
- All cooking during the 12 month portion of the journey will be done off-grid.
- Any food (eggs, veggies) grown or produced in our backyard can be used to supplement food storage.
- …more as I think of them.
LET’S GET STARTED!